The Harrier’s committee are super excited to confirm that we will be running a 2021 Handicap Series but with a twist – including a new route!
For those who are new to the Handicap Series it is a great fun member event with a touch of competitiveness where anyone could be the winner! Races are over the same course with runners setting off at staggered times depending on running ability; the slowest first and the fastest last with the aim that everyone finishes at roughly the same time.
2.3 mile course run on the 2019 Relay course – which may be a relief to those who have taken it easy over lockdown. We had concerns the usual course would be unsafe for runners and marshals due to the increase of holiday traffic during the summer months and extra marshals would be needed. The new route is quieter and safer for all, view it here
The start and finish will be at the Cattle Market car park – we had to consider the space needed at the start and finish to maintain social distancing for runners and the public. The Pill car park has become significantly busier due to the gym and other establishments, therefore we didn’t feel it was safe to have the finish area outside the clubhouse
Races will be held on the following dates: Thursday 15 July, Thursday 22 July, Thursday 12 August, Thursday 26 August, Thursday 2 September
The bits you need to know!:
- Please register via Eventbrite here.
- After entering all participants will be given a handicap time based on previous handicap times and the information supplied on entering (blame Gary if your time is wrong). Handicap times may be adjusted after each event at the organiser’s discretion.
- Participants will need to run 4 out of 5 races to place in the overall results**.
- Marshals (and other helpers) are needed! There is an online marshal list that needs to be full by the Tuesday before each race. If there are not enough marshals the race may not be able to go ahead! Participants are encouraged to marshal 1 race. Add your name to the marshal list here.
- Strictly fully paid active club members only
- This is a club event and to help marshals identity runners please wear club colours, not our race t-shirts (kit is available to purchase from the North Devon Hospice Shop in Mill Street)
- Do not enter the start area until your name is called (30 seconds before your start time, please be close by to hear your name called)
- When warming up please do not run in groups of more than 6 and be mindful of members of the public.
- On finishing you will be handed a token to indicate your race place, then please move away from the finish line to allow space for runners to finish. Hand your token and name to the marshal noting the finish positions. Please maintain social distancing of 1m plus when queuing and do not congregate in groups of more than 6 at any location.
- There will be no changing, showers or storage at the clubhouse, and the bar will not be able to host the usual post-race social but this can still be a fabulous outdoor only member event
- Results will be shared via social media and email after the event.
- Do not attend if you, someone in your household or anyone you have been in contact with has tested positive for COVID-19, has any symptoms or if you are self-isolating following government guidelines/NHS Test and Trace. You should stay at home. If you test positive or become symptomatic and have been to the clubhouse or attended club runs/events you must report this to the club immediately and fill in the UKA Report Form.
- For peace of mind, we encourage runners to take a lateral flow test the day before the event, however, this is not mandatory.
**For those who run all races the best four times count towards the final results so your final placing is likely to be higher.
Participants take part at their own risk, Bideford AAC accept no liability for loss, damage, action, claim, costs or expenses, which may arise in consequence of participation in the events. Participants must adhere to the current Government Guidelines on social distancing and exercise.