The boathouse is open and outdoor rowing will follow this Rowing protocol.
From Monday 19 July 2021 the clubhouse including showers and changing rooms will be open. We kindly ask members are familiar with the full guidelines for Use of clubhouse and booking information.
For specific details and updates please contact your rowing section committee.
The Bideford AAC Rowing Section was founded in 1897 and is one of the premier clubs in the West of England. We welcome rowers of all abilities whether you are interested in learning to row or are an experienced rower. Training sessions depend on tide times. Rowers who are interested in joining are welcome to try sessions to see if it’s for them.
For Junior Rowing children must be age 11 and above.
The Rowing Section is affiliated to the West of England Amateur Rowing Association (WEARA).
For more information please get in touch.
- Head of the DartIt was a crew made up of rowers from Bideford Blues, Bristol and Falmouth that congregated at the Head of the Dart this weekend to make up a composite 8s crew. The 10 mile course which is usually rowed from Totnes to Dartmouth had to be shortened due to strong winds making the conditions too rough to complete, instead the rowers had to row 3 miles down to Sharpham and race back up. The crew of Alastair Peake, Steve Cheel, Nigel Cann, Martin Kelly, Colin Pennington, Neil Pennington, Andy Westcott, Dave Powe and Karen Curry (cox) were winners in the Masters Handicap, racing in the Masters E with an average age of 55. Overall they finished in a very impressive 12th place out of the 102 crews that competed. A great result in very tough conditions.
- Junior inter regionals regatta, NottinghamTwo young crews from Bideford Blues travelled to Nottingham this weekend to take part in the Junior Inter Regional Regatta. The crews were picked to represent the West which was held at the Holme Pierrepont Country Park. Both junior 16 coxless quad crews faced stiff opposition from their strong competitors but put in fantastic performances. The girls crew of Sadhbh Connor, Olivia Weston, Nell Gierke and Hannah Evans qualified for the B final and finished in a very respectable 4th place whilst the boys crew of Toby Evans, Charlie Colwill, Tom Picallo and Jack Berry also qualified for the B final and fought hard to finish 5th. A great weekend of rowing was had by all, both crews did the club proud and agreat experience for all concerned.
- End of season rowing reportOn Saturday 28 October Bideford AAC rowing crews attended the Annual Presidents Dinner and Dance at Plymstock to receive five West of England Championship awards. The following crews received awards for their performances throughout the 2017 rowing season: Men’s SC 4 – Matt Colwill, Nick Dualibi-Wilson, Declan Monaghan, Brian Andrew and Alex Dualibi-Wilson. Ladies SC 4 – Lorna Colwill, Kirsty Andrew, Hayley Wilson, Becka Brown and Renata Dualibi-Wilson. Men’s vets 4 – Brian Andrew, Dave Bates, Dave Powe, Steve Cheels and Ali Peake. Men’s J16 4X+ – Tom Picillo, Jack Berry, Toby Evans, Charlie Colwill and Nell Gierke. Men’s SC scull – Declan Monaghan
- Welsh Indoor Rowing ChampionshipBideford AAC rower Alistair Peake was in action in Cardiff this weekend for the Welsh Indoor Rowing Championship. Alistair took part in the men’s lightweight 50+ category and finished in first place in a very impressive time of 6:34.2. Not content with just winning his category Alistair was the fastest lightweight competitor overall on the day.
- Wimbleball RegattaIt was a fantastic day of rowing for the Bideford Blues this weekend as they travelled the short distance to Wimbleball Lake for their annual regatta. Coming home with seven wins proves the club is going from strength to strength with rowers young and old putting in strong performances. It was a well-deserved win for the men’s junior 16 crew who gained their first win of the season, the young crewof Tom Picillo, Jack Berry Berry, Toby Evans and Charlie Colwill have certainly put in the training and are nowstarting to reap the rewards. Seven second positions and three thirds finished off a very successful day of rowing. 1st place Ladies junior 15 2x – Sadbh Connor and Nell Gierke Mens Senior C 4+ – Matt Colwill, Declan Monaghan, Nick Dualibi-Wilson, Brian Andrew and Charlie Colwill (cox) Mens Junior 16 4x+ – Tom Picillo, Jack Berry, Toby Evans, Charlie Colwill and Nell Gierke (cox) Ladies Novice 1x – Charlotte Berry Mens Senior C 1x – Declan Monaghan Ladies Novice 2x – Charlotte Berry and Kayla Johnson Mens Novice 4+ – Lucas Wilson, Dan Talbot, Tim Henry, Alex Dualibi-Wilson 2nd place Open Junior 13 4x+ – Casey Colwill, Harrison Beer, Barney Evans, Jamie Milsom and Matt Colwill (cox) Mens Junior 18 1x – Alex Dualibi-Wilson Ladies Senior C 4+ – Lorna Colwill, Kirsty Andrew, Becka Brown and Hayley Wilson Mens Senior B 4+ – Dan Talbot, Declan Monaghan, Alex Dualibi-Wilson, Brian Andrew and Charlie Colwill (cox) Mens Junior 15 1x – Toby Evans Mens Masters 4+ – David Bates, Dave Powe, Brian Andrew and Alistair Peake Mens Junior 15 2x – Toby Evans and Nell Gierke Mixed Senior C 4+ – Kirsty Andrew, Dan Talbot, Alistair Peake and Hayley Wilson 3rd place Mens Open 2- – Tim Henry and Nick Dualibi-Wilson Mens Masters 4+ – Colin Pennington, Steve Clements, Nigel Cann and Neil Pennington Mens Junior 15 2x – Tom Picillo and Jack Berry
- Exeter RegattaThis weekend the Blues travelled to Exeter for their annual regatta. 234 crews competed in over 140 races which made a good day of rowing along the canal. The Bideford Blues had a tough day of competing in the 400m sprint races. It was first place for the ladies senior C crew who picked up their first win of the season, whilst the mens masters gained a first and second place in their races. With four wins, six seconds and six third positions the season is proving to be a successful one so far for the Blues crews. 1st place Mens masters 4+: Dave Bates, Steve Cheel, Dave Powe, Alistair Peake and Jo Grigg (cox) Ladies novice 2x: Charlotte Berry and Kayla Johnson Ladies senior C 4+: Lorna Colwill, Kirsty Andrew, Becka Brown, Hayley Wilson and Nell Gierke (cox) Mens junior 15 2x: Toby Evans and Charlie Colwill 2nd place Mens senior C 1x: Declan Monaghan Mens junior 16 4x +: Tom Picillo, Toby Evans, Jack Berry, Charlie Colwill and Nell Gierke (cox) Mens masters 4 x +: Dave Bates, Dave Powe, Steve Cheel, Alistair Peake and Jo Grigg (cox) Ladies junior 14 1x: Charlie Smale Mens senior C 4+: Matt Colwill, Declan Monaghan, Nick Dualibi-Wilson, Brian Andrew and Charlie Colwill (cox) Mens junior 15 2x: Tom Picillo and Jack Berry 3rd place Mens senior C 1x : Nick Dualibi-Wilson Ladies novice 1x : Charlotte Berry Mens open 2- : Matt Colwill and Adam Curtis (Blues / Reds composite crew) Ladies senior B 4+ : Lorna Colwill, Kirsty Andrew, Becka Brown, Hayley Wilson and Charlie Colwill (cox) Ladies junior 16 4 x + : Nell Gierke, Sadhbh Connor, Charlie Smale, Hannah Evans and Jo Grigg (cox) Mens senior B 4 + : Declan Monaghan, Alex Dualibi-Wilson, Matt Colwill, Brian Andrew and Charlie Colwill (cox)
- Totnes RegattaPerfect conditions welcomed crews for this weekend’s regatta in Totnes. Held over two days, rowers from Bideford Blues travelled down on Saturday to take part in the 500m sprint event, whilst Sunday hosted the 1000m Championship regatta. It was a great day for the junior 13’s on Saturday who won their first regatta, the crew of Casey Colwill, Harrison Beer, Jamie Milsom and Barney Evans proved that all their hard work at training is paying off. Saturday saw six first and two second places whilst Sunday resulted in two first, six seconds and two thirds. A great weekend of rowing for the Blues. Saturday 1 July 1st place Junior 13 fours – Casey Colwill, Harrison Beer, Jamie Milsom and Barney Evans Mens master sculls – Ali Peake Mixed senior C fours – Alex Dualibi-Wilson, Matt Colwill, Kayla Johnson and Lorna Colwill Ladies novice double scull – Charlotte Berry and Kayla Johnson Mens junior 16 double scull – Charlie Colwill and Toby Evans Mens open double scull – Alex Dualibi-Wilson and Tom Enright (from Wimbleball Rowing Club) 2nd place Mens junior 15 fours – Tom Picillo, Jack Berry, Toby Evans and Charlie Colwill Mens junior 16 double – Tom Picillo and Jack Berry Sunday 2 July 1st place Mens junior 18 fours – Lucas Wilson, Jasper Beer, Alex Dualibi-Wilson and James Jordan Mens senior C scull – Declan Monaghan 2nd place Ladies senior C fours – Lorna Colwill, Kirsty Andrew, Becka Brown and Hayley Wilson Mens junior 16 fours – Tom Picillo, Jack Berry, Toby Evans and Charlie Colwill Mens master’s fours – Dave Bates, Dave Powe, Steve Cheel and Ali Peake Mens novice scull James Jordan Ladies novice scull Charlotte Berry Mens junior 18 scull James Jordan 3rd place Mens senior B fours – Dave Bates, Dave Powe, Steve Cheel and Ali Peake Mens senior C fours – Declan Monaghan, Matt Colwill, Nick Dualibi-Wilson and Brian Andrew