The Bideford AAC Harriers running section was founded in 1980 by Geoff Fanson and Barrie White. We offer both recreational and competitive running with running groups for mixed ability and pace, as well as training sessions – it is a misconception you need to be quick to join. For Junior Athletics and Running, children must be age nine and above (there is currently a waiting list).
Not run with the Blues before? Why not come along and try a few group runs with us before becoming a member (only £35 per year). You’ll be made very welcome. The group runs leave our clubhouse on The Pill at the specified time (so arrive before this); each group has a runner who leads the route with regrouping/looping points. No runner will be on their own. In the winter months, don’t forget your hi-viz!
The Running Section is affiliated to England Athletics (reference 2657673), South of England Athletic Association and Devon County Athletics Association.
Current running opportunities
Runs leave from our clubhouse unless otherwise stated. Why not come along and try a few group runs with us before becoming a member (only £35 per year). You’ll be made very welcome.
- Senior: Tuesday and Thursday 6pm, 5+ miles at your own pace, 9:30min/mile and under, with regrouping points and looping back to support all runners in the group. Ask for Gemma when you arrive.
- Senior Thursday 5.15pm, 4 miles at 9:30 to 10:30 min/mile, with regrouping points and looping back to support all runners in the group. Ask for Candy when you arrive.
- Senior Tuesday training sessions for advanced runners please get in touch for more information and availability as numbers are limited to ensure 1 coach/leader to 12 athletes ratio, but the coaching team always try to accommodate runners. Fully paid 1st claim runners only.
- Junior Tuesday and Thursday 6pm to 7pm training members only. Please note, there is currently a waiting list for junior training places (children of all abilities age 9 and above are welcome, however details can not be taken before their 9th birthday). If you are interested in the junior section please get in touch.
Simply get in touch for more information. There is no additional charge for any of the training groups or sessions.
Club events for active members:
- New Year’s Day Two Bridges run, senior and junior course, followed by bring and share lunch, bar is also open, every runner wins a prize.
- Good Friday Relays mixed teams of juniors, male and females run around Bideford park, followed by bring and share lunch, bar is also open, every runners wins a prize.
- Summer Handicap Series six races run on the same course, with race prizes given in the club bar after each race
- The Pub Run, a fun-filled event raising money for charity.
- Various subsidised coach trips to races during the year usually including Taunton Marathon and Half Marathon and Weston Christmas Cracker 10k.
- Team events open only to club members such as Westward Cross Country League and the North Devon Relays.
England Athletic affiliation
Harriers/running members also have the option to become individually registered with England Athletics, the membership and development body for athletics and running clubs in England. This runs from 1 April to 31 March annually and costs £17. You receive a Competitors Licence number with a Unique Registration Number (URN) which means you are eligible to complete as Bideford AAC in UK Athletics/Run Britain licensed road races and gives a minimum £2 discount per race entry. Therefore this additional membership is recommended if you take part in races throughout the year. England Athletics members are also entered onto the Power of 10 which provides information on your race results and running performances.
More information on England Athletics membership benefits