For senior Tuesday and Thursday 6pm group runs, we kindly ask runners are familiar with the Running group guidelines. Please get in touch for information on training sessions for advancing runners and junior opportunities.
From Monday 19 July 2021 the clubhouse including showers and changing rooms will be open. We kindly ask members are familiar with the full guidelines for Use of clubhouse and booking information.
The Bideford AAC Harriers running section was founded in 1980 by Geoff Fanson and Barrie White and offers opportunities for both recreational and competitive running. The Tuesday and Thursday night runs are of mixed ability and pace (it really is a misconception you need to be quick to join). Runners who are interested in joining are welcome to try sessions to see if it’s for them. For Junior Athletics and Running children must be age nine and above (there is currently a waiting list).
The Running Section is affiliated to England Athletics, South of England Athletic Association and Devon County Athletics Association.
Current running opportunities
- Senior Tuesday and Thursday 6pm group runs 3 to 5 miles, approximately one hour. We kindly ask runners are familiar with the Running group rules.
- Wednesday training sessions for advanced runners – if this is something you are interested in please get in touch for current availability as numbers are limited to ensure 1 coach/leader to 12 athletes ratio, but the coaching team always try to accommodate runners where possible.
- Junior Tuesday and Thursday 6pm to 7pm training members only and follow this Junior Harriers Risk Assessment. Please note, there is currently a waiting list for junior training places (children of all abilities age 9 and above are welcome, however details can not be taken before their 9th birthday). If you are interested in the junior section please get in touch.
Simply get in touch for more information. There is no additional charge for any of the training groups or sessions.
Club events for active members:
- New Year’s Day Two Bridges run, senior and junior course, followed by bring and share lunch, bar is also open, every runner wins a prize.
- Good Friday Relays mixed teams of juniors, male and females run around Bideford park, followed by bring and share lunch, bar is also open, every runners wins a prize.
- Summer Handicap Series six races run on the same course, with race prizes given in the club bar after each race
- The Pub Run, a fun-filled event raising money for charity.
- Various subsidised coach trips to races during the year usually including Taunton Marathon and Half Marathon and Weston Christmas Cracker 10k.
- Team events open only to club members such as Westward Cross Country League and the North Devon Relays.
England Athletic affiliation
Harriers/running members also have the option to become individually registered with England Athletics, the membership and development body for athletics and running clubs in England. This runs from 1 April to 31 March annually and costs £15. You receive a Competitors Licence number with a Unique Registration Number (URN) which means you are eligible to complete as Bideford AAC in UK Athletics/Run Britain licensed road races and gives a minimum £2 discount per race entry. Therefore this additional membership is recommended if you take part in races throughout the year. England Athletics members are also entered onto the Power of 10 which provides information on your race results and running performances.
More information on England Athletics membership benefits