Tuesday and Thursday senior running groups are re-starting on Tuesday 18 August. For members only and to attend places MUST be booked. We kindly ask runners are familiar with the Running group rules and Risk Assessment which includes booking information.
The clubhouse hall re-opened for members use on Tuesday 28 July, it is available for booking only Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from approximately 4pm to 9pm. There is strictly no admission or access to the bar, changing rooms, showers or kitchen.
Please ensure you have read the risk assessment and the rules of use which includes booking information.
The Bideford AAC Harriers running section was founded in 1980 by Geoff Fanson and Barrie White and offers opportunities for both recreational and competitive running. The Tuesday and Thursday night runs are of mixed ability and pace (it really is a misconception you need to be quick to join). Runners who are interested in joining are welcome to try sessions to see if it’s for them. For Junior Athletics and Running children must be age nine and above (there is currently a waiting list).
The Running Section is affiliated to England Athletics, South of England Athletic Association and Devon County Athletics Association.
Senior running groups
- Tuesday and Thursday members only group runs, 3-5 miles, approx one hour. Places must be booked, to view group runs available and book visit: groups.runtogether.co.uk/bidefordaac/runs.
Please ensure you are familiar with the Running group rules and Risk Assessment
The following groups are cancelled until further notice due to COVID-19
- Tuesday and Thursday 6pm, coached training sessions for advanced runners
- Wednesday 6pm, the same 9/10 mile route each week, with points where runners loop until the last runner reaches them, then all continue together – no stopping. There are points to cut back to make the course shorter (6 or 7 miles) until the full distance can be run. A great run for all; perfect for those marathon training and anyone training for the Bideford Half Marathon. View the route.
Simply get in touch for more information. There is no additional charge for any of the training groups or sessions.
Club events for active members:
- New Year’s Day Two Bridges run, senior and junior course, followed by bring and share lunch, bar is also open, every runner wins a prize.
- Good Friday Relays mixed teams of juniors, male and females run around Bideford park, followed by bring and share lunch, bar is also open, every runners wins a prize.
- Summer Handicap Series six races run on the same course, with race prizes given in the club bar after each race
- The Pub Run, a fun-filled event raising money for charity.
- Various subsidised coach trips to races during the year usually including Taunton Marathon and Half Marathon and Weston Christmas Cracker 10k.
- Team events open only to club members such as Westward Cross Country League and the North Devon Relays.
England Athletic affiliation
Harriers/running members also have the option to become individually registered with England Athletics, the membership and development body for athletics and running clubs in England. This runs from 1 April to 31 March annually and costs £16. You receive a Competitors Licence number with a Unique Registration Number (URN) which means you are eligible to complete as Bideford AAC in UK Athletics/Run Britain licensed road races and gives a minimum £2 discount per race entry. Therefore this additional membership is recommended if you take part in races throughout the year. England Athletics members are also entered onto the Power of 10 which provides information on your race results and running performances.
More information on England Athletics membership benefits